This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience and analyse use of our website. By clicking ‘I accept’ you agree and consent to our use of cookies. You can find out more about our cookies here. Find out more

Businesses will need a UK EORI number to trade within the EU

Andy Hancock

HMRC has advised that in the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK businesses will need to apply the same processes to EU trade that apply when trading with the rest of the world and will need a UK EORI number to continue trading with the EU.

 If you are based in Great Britain, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and import to or export from the EU and don’t already have an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number, you should register for one now.

Why do I need an EORI number?
You will need your EORI number to continue to import or export goods with the UEU after 29 March 2019.    You will also need your EORI number to apply to be authorised for customs simplifications and to submit import and/or export declarations.

How do I apply?
You can register for an EORI number at

It should only take around 10 minutes to fill in the form online.  You will need your VAT registration number (if applicable) and business name.  If your business is not VAT registered, you will need a UK address, an email address, your date of birth and your National Insurance number.

If your business is a partnership you will also need to provide the date of birth and National Insurance numbers of all partners.

Companies will need their Company Registration Number, incorporation date and country of incorporation.
Registered charities will need their registered charity number and country of registration.

I’ve registered – what happens next?  
Once you’ve registered, you will receive your EORI number by email, usually within three working days, although HMRC states it can take longer during busy periods.

For further information or guidance, please contact your usual Moore adviser