This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience and analyse use of our website. By clicking ‘I accept’ you agree and consent to our use of cookies. You can find out more about our cookies here. Find out more

Paying Tax by Direct Debit to HMRC | Can I pay my self-assessment tax return by Direct Debit?

Paying Tax by Direct Debit to HMRC | Can I pay my self-assessment tax return by Direct Debit?

Mike Wakeford

One of the many ways payments can be made to HMRC is by using a direct debit. The direct debit can be set up online.
What Tax can be payed with direct debit?
You can pay your tax bill using direct debit if you have an online account with HMRC for:

  • Self-assessment
  • Employers’ PAYE and National Insurance
  • Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) deductions
  • VAT
  • Corporation Tax
  • Machine Games Duty
  • Soft Drinks Industry Levy

You can also make miscellaneous payments (using a payment reference beginning with ‘X’) if you have an online account with HMRC for one of these taxes.
In addition, you must be the authorised signatory on the account you want to make direct debit payments from, and it must be a UK bank account.
Finding your reference number
When making a payment for self-assessment tax return, you should use your 11-character payment reference. This is your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) followed by the letter ‘K’.
Other Methods to pay HMRC
It is also possible to pay HMRC by other methods, including bank transfers, cheques, corporate credit cards, corporate debit cards and personal debit cards. The use of corporate cards is subject to a fee. Payment by personal debit cards is currently fee-free. There is also no charge for payment by direct debit, bank transfer or cheque. HMRC has not accepted personal credit cards since January 2018, when credit card surcharges on personal credit cards were banned.
Setting up your direct debit
Paying your self assessment tax bill HMRC through direct debit can give you more flexibility in producing your self-assessment tax return. You can choose to pay on a weekly or monthly basis by setting up a budget payment plan if you want to consider setting up a direct debit to pay your self-assessment tax return. Our Specialist tax team can help you. Contact us today to see how we can help with your self-assessment tax return. 

Contact Us
If you need help on preparing and submitting your self-assessment tax return, contact Moore (South)'s specialist tax team to find out how we can help you.