This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience and analyse use of our website. By clicking ‘I accept’ you agree and consent to our use of cookies. You can find out more about our cookies here. Find out more

How to save £2,000 in tax-free income.

How to save £2,000 in tax-free income.

Mike Wakeford

There is no tax to pay on trading income or earnings from land and property as long as the income from each of these two sources does not exceed £1,000.

Trading allowance

The trading allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with trading income from:
  • self-employment.
  • casual services, for example, babysitting or gardening.
  • hiring personal equipment, for example, power tools.
This allowance does not apply to trading income from a partnership.

Property allowance

The property allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with income from land or property.
If you own a property jointly with others, you are each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.
If you have two businesses and claim the property allowance in one business, you may not claim actual expenses in respect of the other business.
You cannot use this allowance on income from letting a room in your own home under the Rent a Room Scheme.
If the income for either or both of these is each below £1,000 there is no requirement to include this on a tax return but you should retain records of this income so, if asked, you are able to demonstrate ‘full relief’.

If you believe that you would benefit from a discussion from one of our tax advisors, please Contact us to see how we can help you with your tax planning options.